NO, NOT ME! I soooooo don't understand it! How can someone not like another person b/c of the colour of their SKIN??????
I have just finished reading 'Roots' by Alex Haley. I'm sure everyone has heard of it (or maybe seen the movie. I think the books are always better!)It's a really long book that had me captivated from chapter one. Its about a young black man who gets taken away from his homeland,the horrific journey over by boat, thrown into the States and into slavery. The book goes on with his story and his family's story over generations. I couldn't put it down.
When we lived in Michigan we were able to visit a plantation mansion with the slave huts surrounding the grounds. It was sad and interesting. So I was able to picture how it might have looked somewhat.I just don't get and never will how horrible the slaves were treated b/c of the colour of their skin. The sad thing is, racism is still here. Not just between blacks and whites but all cultures. We don't appreciate each other. We're rude. We say things that hurt.
I laugh at people who claim to be of great faith and make a huge deal about what a great church goer they are and let it be known to all who will listen, what a good christian they are. But then they whisper loudly, and roll their eyes at other religions and cultures. They make fun of people who are not like them, they make it very clear that they are 'the better person.' The RIGHT person.They have NO tolerance, none. I've seen it first hand ( I will make it VERY clear I was not brought up that way, I never saw it in my home.) I was raised in a house with faith. I was raised in a house that the colour of ones skin doesn't matter. Or, off topic clearly, who you love (yes, being gay!) does not mean you will go to hell and doesn't make you a bad person.
So why do we all judge people so harsh? Myself included, I would sometimes look at someone and I would have them all figured out. I've stopped doing that. Too many times I've been way off.
So, by reading this book and falling in love with it. I look at things a little different. I think that is a sign of a good book, if it makes you look at yourself and question things in your own life.
I've already had conversations with Drew about the colour of peoples skin. He has one East Indian boy in his class and one of his really good friends is black- and very proud of it! It's so cute! He asked me about skin colour when he first met them.
It was neat to hear him question it and then never bring it up again. That's the way it should be.
Oh to look at the world through a child's eyes for just one day........maybe the world would b a little more fun, relaxed and accepting.
Unpopular Opinion
10 years ago
1 comment:
Rhiannon and Brogan have grown up in I guess what people "the South", so the color of peoples skin and the fact that there are so many different shades of it doesn't even faze them. I'm sure prejudices or judgments will come in other forms, but at least that one skipped my kids.
Post a Comment