Friday, March 27, 2009

I made banana bread last night

I was bored and have a bunch of bananas so I thought I would bake. I'm not a cook. I don't enjoy it. I do it because we need to eat. I don't find it relaxing. I don't think it's fun. Since we are watching our money, and who isn't right now, we have decided to only bake our own cookies and cakes and well anything sweet. I actually do seem to enjoy that somewhat.
Last night I realized something. Bill is a risk taker. He does things with out thinking for months and months (sometimes I wish I could be more like this), he's very spontanus and jumps right into things. He is the same way when he cooks and bakes. He never uses a recipe and if he does he will change it around. Add this and that. He likes change. He will play around with new ideas and add a little of this and a little of that. A taste here a taste there. Myself, on the other hand am NOT a risk taker. I will think about something for ages before I make a decision. I don't like change. I like to know what to expect and I want to know ALLLLLLL the details thank you very much. When I cook and bake I ALWAYS use a recipe. I will not change it up, EVER, are kidding me thats CHANGE! I measure exacly not a pinch more, not a pinch less. I get pissed if it doesnt come out perfect. Hmmmmm, it makes me wonder....so, when I was making banana bread last night I forgot to add the baking powder so needless to say, my muffins looked more like chubby cookies than the big light, fluffy muffins in the picture. Me being as stuborn as I am ( yes I'm a real treat!!) I then decided to make banana bread WITH the baking powder. Ya much better. The loaf turned out really well, but it drove me crazzzzzy that it took longer than the recipe told me!!! I loved the way the bread smelled while it was baking. Drew said the 'muffins' where great, they actually were pretty good. Bill tried not to giggle and the bread was delish even better with tons of belting butter!
My mom bakes and cooks like Bill. Although now that it is just her and my dad I think some of the fun has gone out of it because she has to make smaller portions. I always remember having homemade goodies. Suppers where always piping hot and really yummy. My mom loved to make all different dishes everything from Dutch to East Indian food and I really think that is why I like all foods.
Not only is homemade food better but it's great to have the boys help. They love it too. So I have decided to be more adventuous ( i'm having a panic attack thinking about it) when in the kitchen. If something that I have slaved over ALL DAY flops then after I have screamed, yelled and pulled out all of my hair I will look at the positive, although I really don't see what that could be. I will just order pizza.

2 comments:

Krista said...

I don't know if your recipe mentioned this but: after you cool the banana bread on a wire rack, wrap it in foil, let it "sit" over night. That will actually intensify the flavor.

Michelle said...

THANKS!!!!